“NUTRITION EMPOWERMENT FOR PREVENTION AND MANAGEMENT OF DIABETES (NIP-DIABETES)”
“National Diabetes, Obesity and Cholesterol Foundation (N-DOC)” in collaboration with Nestle India, with support from Chronic Care Foundation (CCF), South Delhi Medical Association (SDMA) and General Physicians Forum under the leadership of Prof. Anoop Misra organized a conference entitled “Nutrition Empowerment for Prevention and Management of Diabetes (NIP-DIABETES)”.on 12 November, 2010 at New Delhi
Key Objectives of the Conference:
- To highlight the role of nutrition in prevention and management of diabetes.
- To discuss new research findings pertaining to diabetes and nutrition.
- To discuss critical issues related to nutrition: role of trans fatty acids, fiber, different types of diets, glycemic index and glycemic load in diabetes.
- To emphasize on healthy cooking and demonstrate healthy recipes.
- To discuss the steps involved in dietary, exercise and medical prescription of diabetic patients.
On the occasion, Prof. Anoop Misra, President, N-DOC, said: “The metabolism of Indians is inherently abnormal, conducive to development of diabetes and cholesterol disorders. Simple shift in diets, choosing low glycemic index foods with high fibre and omega-3 fatty acids, could tilt metabolism in such a manner that blood sugar and cholesterol get metabolized more efficiently. The message of this conference is that, for every Indian, starting from childhood, correct diets and physical activity should be at the top of daily agenda.”